Monday, March 26, 2012

Reflections Of ELDL 5301


At the beginning of this course ELDL 5301, I had no idea of the coursework. The first week’s assignment talked about action research, a word that I had heard from my peers before but had no clue what it actually meant.  This coursework provided me the basic understanding to in-depth knowledge of “Action Research”.

              The videos by Dr. Jenkins and Dr. Arterbury were very helpful to understand the various aspects of “Action Research”. Dr. Arterbury and Dr. Jenkins suggested great ideas in the videos to draft and guide the action research plan. Some of the ideas included are choosing a topic that is relevant to the student’s progress, staying on topic, starting with general idea and moving towards specific details, and improving action research plan through collaboration. It was through watching these videos I understood the practicality of action research as well as the impact action research can have on a school district, its campuses and student achievement.

              The books for this course, “Leading with Passion & Knowledge: The Principal as Action Researcher” by Nancy F. Dana along with “Examining What We Do to Improve Our Schools: 8 Steps from Analysis to Action” by Sandra Harris et al both shared a wealth of information. Although both the books shared information about action research but personally I felt that Harris et al 8 Steps from Analysis to Action offered concrete and easy to follow structure of action research. The Harris text proposes eight steps in a school improvement action research plan. The part that really helped me to gain deeper understanding through Harris et al text was the reflections questions or tools at end of each step. These tools provided me with detailed understanding of action research and the steps that are involved in the successful implementation of action research plan.
             The discussion board and comments from other fellow students was very beneficial tool when working on assignments and activities. It provided instant feedback and gave time to make changes to the assignment or activity based on feedback.

           Last but not the least the exchange of ideas and information through use of blogs had been very effective. With help of blogging I was able to communicate with others in my class as well as followers outside of my class and rely on responses and feedback from them as well on any suggestions or changes that needed to be made to my Action Research Plan. Being able to blog and apply to my coursework has been a fun experience.

           The materials and resources received from this course definitely made the process of implementing Action Research Plan smoother. I will apply the information and knowledge gained from the Action Research plan process not only in my current research plan but also in future plans to better meet the needs of my campus and improve the student achievement.

1 comment:

  1. I was also hooked with the 8 Steps From Analysis to Action. I am really interested in working with my research plan and apply those 8 steps, getting to the end just to start all over again... isn't it exciting?

    ReplyDelete